New Year's when you're pushin' 30
It's quite difficult subject for me. Let's try to understand it. But there are only three types of Conditional Sentences.
Conditional Sentences are also known as Conditional Clauses or If Clauses. They are used to express that the action in the main clause (withoutif) can only take place if a certain condition (in the clause with if) is fulfilled. There are three types of Conditional Sentences.
- "Two wrongs don't make a right." - When someone has done something bad to you, trying to get revenge will only make things worse.
- "The pen is mightier than the sword." - Trying to convince people with ideas and words is more effective than trying to force people to do what you want.
- "When in Rome, do as the Romans." - Act the way that the people around you are acting. This phrase might come in handy when you're traveling abroad notice that people do things differently than you're used to.
- "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." - You can get better service if you complain about something. If you wait patiently, no one's going to help you.
- "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - Strong people don't give up when they come across challenges. They just work harder.
- "No man is an island." - You can't live completely independently. Everyone needs help from other people.
- "Fortune favors the bold." - People who bravely go after what they want are more successful than people who try to live safely.
- "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones." - Don't criticize other people if you're not perfect yourself.
- "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." - Bad things might happen, so be prepared.
- "Better late than never." - It's best to do something on time. But if you can't do it on time, do it late.
- A bad beginning makes a bad ending.
- Дословный перевод: Плохое начало ведёт к плохому концу.
- Русский аналог: Что посеешь, то и пожнешь.
- A bad compromise is better than a good lawsuit.
- Дословный перевод: Плохой компромисс лучше, чем хорошая тяжба.
- Русский аналог: Худой мир лучше доброй ссоры.
- A bad workman blames his tools
- Дословный перевод: Плохой работник ругает свои инструменты.
- Русский аналог: Плохому танцору яйца мешают. Не топор тешет, а плотник.
- A bargain is a bargain.
- Дословный перевод: Сделка есть сделка
- Русский аналог: Уговор дороже денег. Уговор святое дело.
- if wishes were horses beggars might ride - If wishing could make things happen, then even the most destitute people would have everything they wanted.
- if ifs and ands were pots and pans - Wishing for things is useless. (Often said in reply to someone who says something beginning with "If only....") Daughter: If only we didn't have to move out of town, I'd be the happiest girl in the world. Grandmother: If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no work for tinkers' hands.
Vincent: And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: Then what do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.
Jules: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.